I’m allergic to flower smells so that ol’ adage “Take time to smell the roses” doesn’t really work for me, but the point to slow down and take time to love life is well taken.
What I do love is Starbucks! I know it is cliché for some, but it’s a moment of indulging in excellence for me. This morning was one of those times. I am currently visiting my daughter Courtney and her family in Oregon and we stopped and got great drinks this morning. It’s not a huge expense, but it certainly is a little overpriced indulgence and I love it.
I always get the same thing: a grande Chai latte, non-fat, no foam and 7 pumps. I didn’t get there on my first try. My daughter Natalie used to be a Barista and she helped me learn what I really love one cup at a time.
Maybe you need to try something to build a little more life into your life. What do you love? How can you incorporate more of it into your life?
I think God wants us to enjoy our lives and sometimes we push the things we love away and save them for “special days”. If that mentality is overdone we wake up one day realizing we are not really loving our lives on a day to day basis but rather only loving parts of it. When we live this way it’s almost as if we are spending most of the time waiting and then trying to make the most of the special times. Why not make today special? When we choose to put great things into our lives we lean into the life that God has provided and wants us to engage with. He made us all unique with different things we like because He wants us to enjoy the earth He created and connect with who He made us to be.
What kinds of things make you love life? Here’s a little list you could explore.
- Take the long way home and enjoy the view.
- Make a special meal for no reason at all but to enjoy it.
- Take a long bath.
- Read a good book just for fun, not a self-help book or a theological or philosophical one that would be “good for you” – one just for fun.
- Play a game. Invest in a sport or hobby. Do a puzzle.
- Take a walk and notice things around you like the flowers or the neighbors.
- Send a note to a friend or family member just for fun.
- Buy flowers.
- Visit a museum or art gallery.
- Just stop for a moment, close your eyes and breathe in God’s love for you.
What were you wondering if I would include on the list that I didn’t? Go ahead – add it to the list.
What if the life you always wanted is right there for the taking?