“You can’t get there from here.” We’ve been told that a number of times from locals while visiting Vermont. What they mean is that it won’t be easy. We are going to have to go all the way around a mountain to get to a place on the map that looks like it is only a few miles away, there is no easy way or road to get straight from where we are to where we want to go.
Some times life is like that.
It feels like you can’t get “there” from here. Like it’s impossible to get to the place you want to go to from where you are currently.
Action Steps change everything.
A is for Action Steps.
We call ours Gabby. We tell her where we want to go and she tells us what the steps are to get there. Gabby is our GPS.
In order to use our GPS we need a few things:
- A Destination (our focus which is R in the Coaching ROAD for Recognition)
- A Vehicle (O in the Coaching ROAD which is Ownership – meaning it’s not someone else’s responsibility to make my life what I want it to be, it’s mine for the taking)
- A Pathway (A in ROAD for Action Steps – we’ll talk about this today)
- Follow through (D for Dedication – more on that next time)
It can be overwhelming to consider actually moving from where you are to where you feel God is calling you to be. Here’s a little list of possible Action Steps to think about for next steps on your journey.
- Research – there is always good ol google. (Sometimes people think you should just “know” what to do, and they skip this step or they feel paralyzed because they don’t just start here.)
- Read – find some books on what others have said or done.
- Reference – talk to people who have gone through what you are going through and get their advice.
- Practice – start the plan, make steps toward growth.
- Perfect – keep practicing till you get better.
- Find Scripture – pour over God’s word and get His take on the situation. Find a solid rock reference point to move from.
- Confess – get your “stuff” out in the light and keep it there.
- Forgive – let go of the baggage holding you back.
- Get Coached – engage a coach, friend or mentor in helping you toward your goal.
- Work through hurts – use transformational prayers. (Try Terry Wardle’s “Healing Care, Healing Prayer”)
- Work through lies – change your mantra, change your mind. (Check out my blog Lies Are Like Lens)
- Let Jesus meet you in your core desire. (Try Tony Stozfus recent release “The Invitation”)
- Start – make a baby step toward your goal.
- Break it down into smaller goals.
- Deal with enemies – or obstacles that are holding you back. (See O- Ownership and spend some time there)
Don’t forget to start with a SMART goal. Check out my blog Is There Such A Thing As a Dumb Goal for more info!
A GPS only helps if you move forward.
And like working with a GPS, if you try something that doesn’t work out exactly as you had hoped you can just chalk it up to research and hear Gabby say “Recalculating” – at the very least you are moving forward and not paralyzed being stuck…
Where do you need to build a Coaching ROAD to?
What action steps do you need to try to get “there”?
Who could you help move forward?